Keeping The Blues Alive in Philadelphia
Philly Blues Society is a volunteer arts organization dedicated to the preservation blues culture. Our stated mission is to assist in the preservation of the blues as a part of our cultural heritage and tradition through public awareness and education, and through fostering an environment for the blues artist to grow and develop. We will:
- Provide a venue for local artists to develop and perform through sponsoring, producing and promoting the following types of events:
- Regularly scheduled showcases or jam sessions where artists can perform with professional and semi-professional musicians before a live audience.
- Annual talent contests to qualify for the national blues talent contest (The Blues Foundation) which are limited to acts or individual artists who are not signed to a recording contract or professional management contract.
- Contribute to the cultural diversity of the community by sponsoring, producing and promoting a regularly scheduled, annual festival of professional blues artists.
- Maintain an archive of blues recordings, which is available to the public for the purposes of research and education.
- Maintain a registry of performing blues musicians within our community, and our state.
- Collaborate with other concerned organizations, agencies or individuals in providing educational or entertaining events that are within the scope of our stated mission/purpose/goal.
- Publish a newsletter to communicate information on regional blues activities, releases of blues recordings, features of historical and cultural significance, and business to the membership, and other concerned parties.